Welcome to this Blog. . .

...where I journal about my dreams and occasionally real life as well

Friday, July 3, 2009

The Interesting Events of Tonight

Wow. Tonight was pretty cool for being July the 3rd, not that I have anything against the date, except for the fact that it rests between two rather important dates in contrast.
Anyways, today was fairly uneventful before the evening; I woke up late, took a call from my mom, had a banana for breakfast, and showered. Then, I decided to take Lancy with me to return a book that my dad checked out from the library (that has apparently been overdue for the past few weeks). I felt bad about halfway up Glade Street for choosing him to take over Juliet, as he was panting up a storm and shedding profusely. I didn't take Juliet because she is my walking companion more than half the time and Lancy never usually gets to come along because he is a spazzy walker and wants to stop every few feet to pee on tufts of grass.
After putting the book in the drop box of the library on Fifth Street, I decided that, since it was such a beautiful day (with a little breeze to alleviate the heat), I would walk a little further. Lancy and I walked down to Cherry Street, took a right, and then took another right onto Fourth Street, so that we were heading back toward the house; we passed what used to be Cat's Corner, which has not yet become a Mexican Restaurant. My mom told me the other day that the new owners are taking back the old waitstaff, which is awesome.
Several times throughout my journey, Lancy got compliments from people who enamored with his lancylicious beauty. As they reached out their hands to pet him, I informed them that, as he was born a runt, he is rather skiddish. They generally ignored me; it's a good thing that Lancy didn't react aggressively, as he will sometimes (but not often) do when he is surrounded by fans.
People also asked me for directions three times; the first time, I had just crossed the street after dropping off the book when a guy asked me where the library was. I directed him across the street that I had just crossed. The next two people weren't so lucky; I didn't know where the Piedmont Art something-or-other was, nor did I know the exact location of Mary's of Course, though we have dined there on several occasions (a lot of my mom's old coworkers from Cat's Corner also worked part time at Mary's; they have excellent English Muffins if you ever go there).
At home, Lancy drank a lot of water and passed out in his cage. As my dad ate lunch, I swept while singing Buble, at which I epicly failed to my dad's amusement. Then, I watered the plants, played a little piano, and had a passionate half hour with my drumset. After this, I sent emails to the marching band director at Reynolds and one of the secretaries about band camp and changing my German course to a Latin course. I played the Spiderman game on the Playstation, which I haven't done in a while. Finally, the dishwasher stopped running and I was able to put the dishes away and reload it with stuff from the sink. In between these activities, I also made quite a bit of progress in My Sister's Keeper, which I am trying to read before my mom and I rent the movie from the red box. As of yet, I cannot sympathize with the main character, no matter how much I might have wanted to keep my own kidney; I will wait until I finish the book before I give an in depth review on it, though, so I'll try not to dislike Anna so readily.
When my dad and Heather got home, we went to sushi at their favorite place, Ichiban, in Thruway. We go there so often that they typically don't even ask our drink orders, and we always have the same waittress, who's young and funny. My dad announced that he was going to take us downtown for the Gallery Hop, which was supposed to coincide with Heavy Rebel Weekend. Before this, however, we went to a new shop in Thruway called Francesca's, where I bought a strapless bra, an orange camisole, and a super-cool black shirt.
For my own memory's sake, I was wearing my spazzy, floral, green shirt over a white camisole, as well as my khaki shorts.
Random Confession: I can more easily recall important events in retrospect when I know what outfit I was wearing on that day; so you'll often see details about my outfit in my blog posts.
Anyways, my dad and Heather stopped once more by McDonald's so that they could get some ice cream, and I split a fudge sunday with Heather. Then, we were off to downtown Winston-Salem!
We parked beside the road across the street from a building full of lofts. We walked up the sidewalk in the direction of the music. We stopped in several galleries and looked at the product of our local artists' imaginations.
Possibly the weirdest part of the night was the mime that we witnessed performing in the middle of Trade Street (I think it was Trade Street). This was my first instance of seeing a mime in real life; he was standing on a pile of boxes, moving the top box around slowly, and seemed to be doing "the robot" as he waved to the audience. He was bedecked in stereotypical mime attire, the black-and-white striped shirt with black pants and a rather creepy white face mask. We moved on after a few minutes of observation.
After stopping in a gallery down the hill from where the summer live music usually takes place, we walked down to a Human Society truck, outside of which there were three beautiful, sleepy dogs that lay on the pavement. Two of them were brothers, and the one that was completely asleep bore a striking resemblance to my old dog Shamus. We sat and pet the dogs for a while before standing up to move elsewhere.
At this event, I saw several people that I knew, including Alex Siavelis, his parents, and what looked like Ben Cowgil's mom. We also saw a lady inside one of the galleries that I think was my mom's colleague at one time. Thinking that it was already a huge coincidence, we were walking back up the Trade Street hill when I saw Sean and Joe walking down it, conspicuous because of their hats. I caught up with them and spoke with them for a few moments before rejoining my dad and Heather up at the top of the hill. Heather was exhausted and ready to leave by this point.
However, it was a lovely night of local art, music, and what-not. Happy early July the 4th to everyone, by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment