Welcome to this Blog. . .

...where I journal about my dreams and occasionally real life as well

Monday, August 10, 2009

Happenings and Memory: Girl Scout Party

These past two days have been nicely eventful. I've finished my over-the-summer A Separate Peace reading, as well as the project that came with it; I plan to have my dad check it over, because he is critical and will help me avoid a low grade to start the year off. Today, it was oven temperature outside; my mom picked me up from Alexis's house and drove me to her doctor's appointment. Afterwards, we went home and thought about what we should do to pass the time before dinner (which will be sausage pasta) and before my dad comes to dine with us. We decided to take a bike ride, and figured we might as well take a longer one. My mom and I rode from Gordon Drive (which is off Country Club) all the way to Robinhood Road via Peace Haven Road. It was a rigorous bike ride, and once we were on Robinhood, we stopped by the famed hot guy movie store to pick up a movie. Curious George rented a movie called "Huckabees" to us (I think that's what it was called). Now, just for your enlightenment, these are the people who work at the movie store. There's the Curious George, the hot guy, John (whose name is the only one we know for sure), and this tan man who looks like he belongs in the mafia; we've decided to nickname him Don for the time being.
In any case, the bike ride was ten miles long, and now that I'm back, I am extremely hungry. I can smell the sausage cooking from the kitchen. However, I'm glad that we did ride that far because last night at Alexis's house, I ate this really delicious recipe of her mom's called chocolate eclair cake, and need I explain more? The sleepover itself was really fun; Elizabeth and Shannon were also present, and among other things, we went to the mall, ate dipping dots, dined at Chili's, filled out these little surveys in Alexis's Pepsi or Coke? book, met Alexis's chinchilla, and listened to music. It was an awesome night. I don't really remember my dreams from last night, except that one involved a jail; my mom and I were walking down the corridor of a cell block that was empty and discussing something about it that I cannot remember.
Here's the memory: when I was about five or six, I used to be part of the Girl Scouts. If I recall correctly, I never did go on past Brownies for one reason or another, but I had fun while I was a part of the program. My old friend Allie's mom was the leader of our troupe. She directed the meetings, distributed the badges, etc. At the end of the Girl Scout year, or at the beginning of the summer, Allie's mom decided to hold the End-of-Brownies party in the backyard of her house. Nearly everyone turned out; it was a really fun party. The girls all played on Allie's trampoline, swing set, in the sandbox, and just ran around. Then the sun began to set and fireflies emerged like fairies from havens hidden in the grass. We all clamored over to the room behind the screen door to retrieve Styrofoam plates of ice cream. Rushing back out again, we ran to find places on Allie's hammock, which was in the middle of the yard. About six of us were able to fit on there uncomfortably, but we managed. Then, Allie came out last with her ice cream and came to sit on the hammock. When she sat down, it seemed that the contraption had reached its limit, and it began to tilt dangerously. All the little girls on it screamed and clutched their bowls of ice cream. Allie, grinning wickedly, stood again and listened to our yells as the hammock swung back into place. She sat down again, stood up, sat down; some of the girls were able to scramble off, but others (like me) who really wanted their ice cream had to hold to the hammock with one hand to keep from toppling over and ruining the ice cream that they held in their other hand. Then, Allie sat down one last time and the whole hammock flipped; I was somehow able to cling to the netting before falling to the ground. I dropped my ice cream and watched as a pair of feet landed right in the middle of it. Another old friend of mine, Becca, scrambled up and wiped her feet on the grass, apologizing for the ruined ice cream. I didn't care; we were all laughing because of how hilarious it all was. We went back, asked for and received more ice cream to replace the bowls that had fallen in the grass. Later on, our parents arrived to pick us up and drive us home, as the sun disappeared from view behind the surrounding houses, as the fireflies sparkled like sporadic stars and the crickets sang out from unseen places.

No comments:

Post a Comment