Welcome to this Blog. . .

...where I journal about my dreams and occasionally real life as well

Monday, June 8, 2009

News! News! News!

Today was the graduation day, and, though it ended well, it did not start nicely.
I arrived at school in my concert dress and dropped by the guidance office feeling excited; I was going to ask at what I would be making up the Algebra EOC that I missed last Wednesday (I assumed that the make-up would take place after the graduation ceremony). I was talking to the nice guidance lady about it when Mr. Dankwardt came in and informed me that I was to be back in the guidance office at 8:00, which was thirty minutes before the graduation began. I didn't protest, but the guidance lady did. "Couldn't she make it up afterwards?" she asked, to which he responded, "No. 8:00." So I went upstairs to Mr. Holbrook's room to wait for 8:00, and I went back down to the guidance office. I had called my dad's house shortly before I left for homeroom to inform my grandparents that I would be missing graduation; apparently my dad called guidance while I was in homeroom and spoke with Mr. Dankwardt, because after a few minutes spent in guidance, Miss Brown and the other nice guidance lady were able to convince him to let me go to the ceremony, which was just as amazing as I thought it would be. We marched in to "Pomp and Circumstance," as the eighth graders last year did, and then we watched a little slide-show of pictures with music, just as the eighth graders last year did. Unfortunately, I didn't have my glasses on me, and so the powerpoint was somewhat unclear, but the music was enough to make one reminisce; they played two Smashmouth songs, including "All that Glitters is Gold," which reminds me of when I was little and "Shrek" came to theaters, which was a hit with me and other young'uns of my sort. Then, after honor roll announcements and perfect attendance announcements, the teachers came up and began delivering their teacher awards; I won one of the English teacher awards, and I was so happy because I didn't think that I would win it. I was so certain that at least two people other than myself would win it. Eric Schoning won the other award. Then, the best part, I won the Haltiwanger Scholarship! I now have $5000 saved up for college! I went up to the front of the room as I wasn't sure if I should stay in my seat or not, and Mr. Bennett looked sort of bewildered and said into the microphone, "Uh, well, I don't have the five grand up here, Robyn." and so I was embarrassed and subsequently sat down (Elizabeth Garcia from the other team also won). After the other recognition ceremony components (during which most of the students bestowed hugs on Ms. Vasili, who was last in the line of the teachers who waited to shake our hands), we were excused to go and get refreshments; I got some juice and was wandering around. Parents were coming up and congratulating me, some that I knew, some that I didn't. Then Mrs. Schoning came up to me and hugged me and told me that "once I become a famous writer and write a beautiful book to write something in there" about her. It was the only part of the whole thing that brought me close to tears. Then I went and made up the EOC, which was really easy (I hope that I get a good grade after saying that), and those were the important parts of today. Most everyone went home after the celebration, and so it was just Sergio, Mathew, and I in Mr. Samora's class working on our projects. Last night was the graduation party at the country club, and that was pretty fun, too; the best part of that was probably dancing with Shannon, Alexis, and others to the song that goes, "Apple-bottom jeans and the boots with the fur, with the fur, the whole club was looking at her, at her - she hit the floor - next thing you know - shorty got low low low low low low low low." I think it's called "Low," but I wanted to supply the lyrics anyways. Short thing: Shannon got a smooch from Will, who is apparently a good kisser, my grandparents are in town, and I just got back yesterday from Georgia.

1 comment:

  1. Just a note: "All that Glitters is Gold" is called "All Star" and yes, it is "Low". Congrats on your LA Award and your scholarship!

    ReplyDelete