Welcome to this Blog. . .

...where I journal about my dreams and occasionally real life as well

Sunday, March 7, 2010

March 5th Movie Outing and Dream

To start, I think that I should discuss my birthday, March 4th. Not many people remembered it at first, besides my father, Saoirse, and Alice from French class. However, it was neat because I convinced Mr. James to let us play my favorite Bach chorale, number five, which I think is "Jesu, Guard and Guide Thy Members." I had driver's ed that day, and so Mitch and I spent the time passing scandalous Harry Potter pick-up lines back and forth (though I could only come up with one, while he had at least five or six up his sleeve).
Speaking of driver's ed, we had another amusing moment a few weeks ago when we were discussing what a "restricted permit" might allow - my guess after a few minutes of thought was that it would make it legal to sit behind the wheel of an automobile and make car noises. Mitch and I decided that it would be quite amazing if a permit was needed for this.
That night, my parents, Wesley, and I went to Macaroni Grill for dinner, where I saw Savannah from school. Also, I was very lucky, as the opera singer that my dad hoped would be there was absent, which gave me some anonymity as far as my birthday was concerned. In any case, I had some delicious lobster ravioli, and though we were supposed to go keyboard hunting at Sam's Club, we found that they had either moved or completely disposed of their keyboard exhibit.
I was rather buoyant all of Friday, due to my plans to go to the theater with my friends that night (to see "Alice in Wonderland"). I arrived back at the house around 6:45 from driver's ed and was able to hop in the shower and re-dress myself in my black dress before Shannon and Charles were dropped off. I was very flattered when Charles presented me with a gift card for Target; later, when we got back to the house, Shannon gave me beautiful earrings and promised me that she had burnt a cd, but left it at her house. So, after I had finished applying make-up and such, my dad drove us out to the Wynsong theater so that we could be there by 7:25 (to try to buy tickets for the 7:45 showing). Shannon, Charles, and I waited on the sidewalk outside of the theater as my dad went to ask about whether the showing was sold out. While he was in the process of doing this, Eric walked up and greeted us - shortly followed by Virginia and Carly. I introduced them all to my dad, who informed us that the 7:45 showing was sold out and that we would have to buy tickets for the 8:15 showing. We scrambled to get in line before this showing also sold out, and then headed inside to dawdle in the lobby area with our tickets. My dad sat at a nearby table and had an intense conversation on his cell phone as more people slowly arrived: Joe, and finally Saoirse, who came in to report the sad news that the 8:15 showing had sold out before she had bought a ticket. My dad, upon hearing this news, rushed to her aid and was able to convince the manager to give Saoirse a ticket as she was part of our group. The group cheered and was glad.
The movie itself was interesting, odd, and Tim Burton-ish. Our group found amusement in the dainty, upright posture of the White Queen. Besides this, I can't really criticize it any more, as I have read neither of the books.
That night, upon returning to the house and greeting Elizabeth, who planned to spend the night with Shannon and I, we fell asleep early due to our fatigue (she had gone to see the movie as well, but at a different theater). I had a great number of confusing and moody dreams.
The first dream was typical of my dreaming nature: it was very stressful, with accompanying feelings of shame connected with some crime that I can no longer remember committing. In the dream, I had made a huge mistake that involved my whole family and all of my friends - the sheer magnitude of my mistake altered the way they perceived me, though they claimed to love me still. It was irrevocable and there was no way of making full amends. After a few hours of this torment, I awoke and went to the bathroom; most unusually, I was able to go back to sleep after I returned to bed.
The second dream had a very calming effect after the first one. I dreamt of Florida, my favorite place in the universe (especially during these dreary, cold winter months when my grandmother calls and complains, "Robyn, you won't believe how cold it is down here - it got to the low 70's this afternoon!"). More specifically, I dreamt of my paternal grandparents' house.
I've thought a lot about their house as of late, and I have no explanation for this. To me, their house is the epitome of tranquility, with its white walls uninterrupted but for my grandfather's soothing paintings, and its rooms that look out on the duck pond in the backyard and the fruit trees that bend lazily in the wind. You enter the house through the garage; walking through the kitchen/dining room, you can take a right to enter the living room (where they keep a faceless doll christened "Mary" leaning against the wall in her flowery dress, with her hands poised over her eyes in a perpetual state of hide-and-seek counting) or a left to enter the music room, where my grandfather keeps his baby grand piano and the most beautiful view of the pond in the entire house. Walking through the hallway of the rest of the house, you can go left or right to enter the community bathroom, my father's old bedroom, my grandfather's office (which, I think, used to be my aunt's bedroom), and my grandparents' bedroom and personal bathroom. It is a beautiful house, and in my dream, I recollect passing through it from room to room, before going outside and walking barefoot in the grass (which was uncharacteristically soft for Florida grass in the dream). I woke up feeling at-peace with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment