Welcome to this Blog. . .

...where I journal about my dreams and occasionally real life as well

Friday, March 12, 2010

Eventful Friday

Today was an eventful day for many reasons, both happy and tragic. First, I should start by saying that every day this week has been quite beautiful; Monday and Tuesday were the best, because they were sunny and I could easily have gone outside in shorts, and these past three days have been rainy and overcast, though still warm and spring-like. On Monday, exiting the band room, I remember an exchange with a fellow classmate, "Isn't it the most gloriously gorgeous day in the existence of gloriously gorgeous days?" He, of course, agreed.
Also, yesterday was the day that I officially decided to learn the craft of the trumpet. I entered the band room early, coming from lunch, to find Mr. James instructing Banks, who was learning to play the trombone. I hovered behind the timpani for a few moments in indecision, before I finally remembered the antics of the other percussionists the previous day, which had made me fairly certain that I wanted to leave the horrors of the percussion section behind, and as soon as possible. After coming to this conclusion, I confronted Mr. James and informed him of my desire to play a woodwind instrument - he immediately said that I could come by after school to learn. Pleased with my success in the inquiry, I bounced about in the back of the band room and informed people all that day of my imminent trumpet lessons, which will probably begin next week with the end of driver's education.
Today was the day our French story was due - mine was called "Le Vieil Homme et le Chien Parlant" (The Old Man and the Talking Dog), and it wasn't until I got to class that I remembered it was also Madame Matisko's last day before she takes her maternity leave. We were all brutally reminded of this when we walked into class and noticed an unfamiliar woman sitting with Madame Matisko behind her desk. It finally clicked with me that this must be notre nouvelle Madame, our teacher who will fill in for Ms. Matisko while she's out. As I worked on the last few details of my project, it seemed that Ms. Matisko was filling her in on specific details about some of her students - how she had two of the same name in one class, twins in another class, etc. I turned in my project and found myself engaged in what would be a 10 minute conversation about Net Flix and French movies with our new teacher (whose name, regrettably, I have not remembered yet). She suggested a movie called "Huit Femme," which apparently is a musical murder-mystery. I said that I had never heard of such a combination - she said that it was definitely worth the watch, and she also mentioned that it had a fellow named Greg Kinnear in it (or perhaps it was another movie that he was in; I don't quite remember) - which was coincidental unto itself as we've just finished watching "Ghost Town," which has Greg Kinnear in it. I have come to the personal conclusion that he is a very classy, dapper-looking man. In any case, I digress - when we left the class, I said "Au revoir, Madame," as I usually do.
I was informed of the next event when I reached band class - there was an ambulance outside of the school. Mr. James addressed this briefly, but without revealing what happened, as he assumed we all knew. Later, I was standing by the window with Allayah and Mitch after we ran through all of our band pieces; Mitch commented that one of the people who was being loaded into the ambulance had been Allayah's boyfriend at some point. Allayah offered to tell me the full story of what happened in the accident; I listened after I went over to remark that Jeremy was playing "Sleepers Wake - a Voice is Sounding" on his trumpet. Apparently five teenagers were in an automobile that crashed into a tree near the Moravian church - this single-car collision likely happened because the owner of the car allowed a student who didn't have a license to drive. As far as Allayah knew, three of the five were injured - though the other two might have suffered injuries as well that we simply haven't heard about yet. So, this was a sad way to transition from band class to biology.
About five minutes after we entered biology class, a student carrying stacks of "Copy Write" entered and delivered them to Dr. Findeis, who was upset to see that his name on the note was spelled incorrectly. He flipped through the magazine and said, "Ms. Witt! You've made it in here." I picked up a magazine during the break and found that they had chosen "Idle Summer Nights" for publication. I was somewhat surprised that they would pick this poem.
Biology passed in a sleepy daze (I haven't been getting enough sleep). Driver's ed consisted mostly of cumulative review and the passing back and forth of Harry Potter-themed sonnets with Mitch. I swear, that boy is the reason that I've survived the long hours of driver's education. He is one of few friends that I have in that class.
My mother picked me up at 6:30 - we dined at the new Mario's near my dad's house and rented movies from the hot guy movie store (the old guy was there today). After watching one of the movies with Lancy at my dad's house (my dad is out of town at the moment on vacation), we headed back home; my mother is currently in the other room with Wesley, watching the other movie that we rented, called "The Fourth Kind."

No comments:

Post a Comment