Welcome to this Blog. . .

...where I journal about my dreams and occasionally real life as well

Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Thought I've Just Had

So, I'm sitting here, listening to the 24 minutes of the first part of Beethoven's Third or "Eroica" Symphony; it is referenced in The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, and so I wanted to hear it in its entirety. It's really pretty. But in any case, the thought I had came to me as I was watching a few seconds of the video (I'm viewing/listening to it on Youtube). The greatest part of watching live classical music is probably either observing the synchronized movements of the musicians, or the passion of the conductor; like in these Youtube videos, they give close-up footage of the contortions of his face and style of conducting as he leads his orchestra. And that adds to the asthestic elements of a performance, in my opinion. So, watching him (Herbert von Karajan, I think, is his name), I came to this conclusion: There's nothing more beautiful than the face of a man immersed in his art. It does not just apply to conductors, obviously; another great example is a pianist, whom I've also come across on Youtube, by the name of Mitsuko Uchida (I think; my spelling might not be correct). I checked myself with a video of her performance of the second movement of Mozart's K. 545 Sonata. One can simply tell from her expressions how passionate she is about her art (and she's a great pianist). Well, anyways, in a few minutes, I'm going to leave to go perform with the Worship Team (I'm playing the drums), so I will leave you with my musical musings.

No comments:

Post a Comment