Welcome to this Blog. . .

...where I journal about my dreams and occasionally real life as well

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Updates and Tigers

So, as far as updates go, this week has been eventful; our band concert was tonight, and we epicly failed, if I might say so myself. It wasn't too terrible until "Sleigh Ride," but it was such a poor ending that Mr. James had us repeat the final measure once the band had finished so that the sections could actually end together (the whip crack was delayed and this screwed the entire band up). "An American Elegy" went better than I expected; Banks climed up to the balcony to deliver his solo, and he and the band stayed together when the rest of the woodwinds came back in for the second half of his solo. Overall, it was a fun night. Everyone, even Mr. James, laughed at the end of "Sleigh Ride" because it was such a failure.
This week has been fairly eventful; we've finished reading Fahrenheit 451 in English, and now we've moved to The Odyssey, which is proving to be an interesting read. We also switched Seminar in the Arts classes today; I've just left Mr. Hurst's visual arts class and I am now in Dance and Kinesthetic movement; next, we'll have Mr. Freedman for Cultural Languages, and finally, what I've looked forward to most, Ms. Fitzgerald's Creative Writing Class.
Speaking of creative writing, Reynolds' literary magazine finally got published, and of the selection of poems that I sent in, the staff chose the one entitled "Waking Up."
On Saturday, the marching band will participate in its last organized event for the year, the Christmas Parade, which will run the same course as the Veteran's Day parade a few weeks ago. We will march the same short route down Fourth Street. Also on Saturday, we will vote on Superlatives (I'm assuming that it's for the yearbook).
Last in my list of updates, I will mention the party that I plan to attend tomorrow at Alexis's house; all that I can say for this event is that it will probably be quite amazing, and I look forward to seeing some of my old Hanes friends there.
Now, for the tigers; a pair of these vicious creatures played a major role in one of the dreams that I had earlier this week when I was at my mom's house. I reasoned with myself that I likely had tiger-related dreams because of my recent decision to re-read the great modern classic, Life of Pi, which is a beautiful book; if you ever choose to read it, disregard the back cover's description of the book, as it does not do it justice. Rather, believe the preface of the book which predicts that the story will make you "believe in God." I came away from the book with my mind changed about several things, God being one of many.
Anyways, I digress: now to the dream. In this dream, I was living with my mother because my father decided that he wanted to invest in a pair of pet tigers to keep in the house. My mother insisted that she didn't want me living in a house with tigers, yet my dad purchased them anyway. So, I went to live at my mom's house, and a few weeks after the incident, my father called us, inviting us to some sort of sporting event. We drove over to a stadium-type place, climbing up into the stands until we saw my dad, waving from one of the top rows (I'm not sure what kind of sporting event we were watching, or why my dad wanted to meet there in the first place). We mounted the last few steps and took seats on either side of him. Ravenous, I busied myself with a bucket of popcorn that my dad had purchased. Meanwhile, my mom straightened her coat, turning to face my dad.
"How're the tigers?" she asked casually, no longer angry about the incident (which is weird because my mother is known to hold a grudge for a long time).
My dad beamed with pride. "They're great," he said happily, "They seem to be settling in just fine. We have had one tiny problem, though; you see, when they try to go down the stairs, their claws sink through the wood and create holes in the staircase. So I need to get Jason to come over at some point and fix the holes. And also, they're afraid to go out in the hallway at night because their claws tear through the wood (as I've said) and one night, they fell through a particularly weathered spot, all the way to the basement. So they don't like going outside of their room at night."
I stopped paying attention to my father's monologue as two blond boys who might have been twins mounted the stairs and approached my dad, engaging him in their own conversation.
My dad seemed to know them quite well, and this plus the fact that I didn't personally know them made me sort of irritated in the dream, so I stood up and walked down the stairs with the intention of calling Shannon on my cell phone. It was about here that I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment